Thursday, 15 March 2012

Bra Blogging

Well, it has come to my attention that I like bras. Even when I spend a few hours trying on every bra that will even remotely fit and end up feeling deflated, abnormal and sore (oh so sore!), that desire to never see another bra in my whole life fades within a day or so, to be replaced by a desire to look at more bras, more reviews, more ingenious ways to find good quality bras on the cheap! (None of which have worked, unfortunately.)

However, I sometimes wonder what's the point. I have pretty much got a niche here, since I know of zero other New Zealand bra bloggers (and not many NZ clothing bloggers fullstop), yet there are so many wonderful UK, Europe and now US bra bloggers out there that my review of a Freya bra is hardly necessary - especially since it might take me months and months just to get my paws on a solitary bra that I can afford - like my Freya Frankie, one of only two Freya bras I own. That point is especially pertinent when sourcing UK brands in NZ is extremely erratic.

Pondering this tonight after a fairly unproductive visit to one of the three places in Christchurch that carry any Eveden or similar brands (might review it later, in fact), I realised that not only are reviews in NZ of UK brands that are expensive and hard to find not very helpful, I'm ignoring the brands we can easily get in NZ that do actually produce a fair range of more accurate sizes, even if they don't always get sold everywhere. Brands such as Fayreform, DimitySO and Pleasure State (all owned by Bendon, I believe, including Pleasure State as of 2010) are all New Zealand or Australia originated lingerie brands. Rather than focusing on wonderful but far away UK or US brands, I have decided it's time to start looking at the brands closer to home.

Bras N Things and Body are the two other places I can think of in Christchurch that sell bras that aren't from the brands I mentioned before. I don't know much about them at the moment, other than knowing Bras N Things is more Aussie than NZ, but I will research them shortly.

Hopefully this means that I'll be hunting more for cheap local bras so that I can review bras that girls here can actually access, and I'll be pushing the brands in New Zealand to expand their sizing, change their fitting advice and hopefully make better quality bras (as some of them are rubbish!).

That's the plan, anyway. I only realised all this tonight (how thick can you be, aye?) so it's all brand new still.

Now that's out of the way, to bed. I have to clear out the caravan by tomorrow afternoon so it can be sold!

13 comments:

  1. Do Pleasure State do anything below 10 in band size? I haven't seen any. Agree with this wholeheartedly; I have also been eyeing up Pleasure State for a year now but unfortunately I can't afford any of their stuff :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, although it looks like the majority of the 8 backs are Pleasure State VIP, for cup sizes DD and up. I can only wear VIP so I hadn't even thought to look at the other ranges - assuming that they must do 8 backs since they are smaller cup sizes than the VIP. How odd that they are not!

      I've also not been able to afford any Pleasure State bras yet, but I'm going to keep hunting lol

      Delete
    2. I would very much like an 8 - currently a 10C/D and it's getting a bit loose. What is this VIP you speak of? I bet it's more expensive lol. Sob.

      Delete
    3. Also I will await you reviews with eager anticipation! It's good to have a niche. And it's very helpful to have some advice from a non-salesperson before you go and spend a lot of money on a bra. I spent quite a lot (to me at the time) on an Elle MacPherson bra only to have it stretch and be too big for me now.

      Delete
    4. Ooh yes you will need an 8 at least - if not a 6, since I can wear 8s fairly happily and I'm much bigger than you. I don't actually know if VIP is more expensive than the normal Pleasure State. I will have to find out for you. Pleasure State VIP is for "bigger girls" because their cup sizes start at DD and go to G (which is a sadly limited cup size range).

      If you're in Auckland at the mo, head to SaveMart in Onehunga. Clare and I went there and she bought four/five bras for $100. She's a 10DD/E so it's slightly easier for her to find sizes, but if you're currently wearing a 10D you'll hopefully find 8DDs without too much trouble. You could always go with Clare, too, since I taught her what to look for when I was up there and she will hopefully remember what signs to look for as far as good or bad fit goes.

      Delete
  2. Don't let the fact that there aren't any NZ bra bloggers discourage you from doing bra posts/reviews - Braless in Brasil (in Brasil) and Bra Nighmares (Finland) are very helpful to readers especially in their respective countries just because there are so few bloggers like them and so little bra knowledge in those areas!

    I wondered for a while what the point was, too, since there's a good number of UK bloggers especially already, and in the US there's even less chance for bra reviews. In fact, I do very few actual bra reviews. But everybody has something to say and experiences to share. I look forward to hearing about what you find and learning about what it's like to go bra searching in NZ (along with your other posts)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement Christine, it means a lot :) I suppose you're right, too. Different viewpoints - as well as sizes and shapes - are all helpful. I'll do what I can then! And I always love reading all your posts.

      Delete
  3. Hi Emma! I lived in Sydney two years ago and I have to say that Bras N Things didn't carry a big range in sizes. Might have changed, although unlikely. Good luck in your search! Which I'm sure will help other women in NZ find their sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey friends down under! Love the blog! Did any of you girls ever try any of the stick on bras? Thinking of getting one for my University leavers ball coming up (I've left a link in my sig so you know what I mean).

    I guess we're lucky over here in the UK. When I used to live in Melbourne, though the shopping was good, it lacked variety, and of course a Primark!.

    Adios amigos!

    Sarah ~ UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! Thank you :) I have tried stick on bras and had one for a number of years. However, after discovering properly fitting bras, I realised that a stick on bra wasn't likely to do anything for my boobs except cover my nipples. Because the support for your boobs comes from the back band, a bra that just sticks on your front isn't going to give you any support. If you have smaller boobs it probably wouldn't affect you too much.

      I have seen one type of stick on bra that had sticky bits that wrapped around your sides, but I'm not sure if that would work any better. If the dress you're wearing for your ball (which I hope is lots of fun) has a back to it, I'd go for a strapless bra rather than a stick on.

      Delete
  5. I just found your blog and as a fellow kiwi I have thank you so much for deciding to do this! I have had so much trouble lately finding a (remotely) comfortable bra and I've read so many overseas blogs about how to get a good fit only to find that over here there's barely anything that would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany Jane! I'm glad that you have found this even slightly helpful. Unfortunately since I'm not blogging (or nearly into bras so much due to rib issues) I won't be doing any new blog posts that could be of help to you, but I do still know quite a bit about the NZ bra scene if you wanted to email me (contrarykiwi@gmail.com) about it.

      Delete

I love to get comments! Please be respectful of me and other people commenting, but otherwise go crazy! <3