Friday, 6 December 2013

New Camera (OOTD)

I have a new camera, everybody! I was getting sick of trying to use the point and shoot I dropped in a river when borrowing it from my brother, because every time I turned it on I had to fiddle around with the settings to be able to shoot anything, and I couldn’t connect it to the computer. Since I’m going travelling next year, I figured I might as well get myself a camera that would give me good quality photos while I whizzed and walked through foreign countrysides as well as taking good blog photos. I have to admit, I also wanted the potential for bokeh.

So I bought myself a Sony Alpha NEX-3N mirrorless camera. Like a DSLR in many ways, with a much larger sensor than a point and shoot and with interchangeable lenses, but much smaller than a DSLR unless using a bulky lens. So far I am excited about it, but I have much to learn. I’m hoping that having plonked down so much money for it and having a camera with many exciting features will help me to stay excited about learning to use it and take photos. I admit that sometimes I feel it’s all a bit futile, getting into photography, when everyone and zir dog seems to do it (and I always want to stand out from the crowd, lol) but I have to fight that feeling, because it’s silly.

Oh, and the green thing I’m holding? It’s a smoothie made with banana, mango and spinach. Kind of my take on the ubiquitous Starbucks coffee cup, since I haven’t been to Starbucks in five years.

DSC00152DSC00154DSC00155

As I said, I wanted to be able to get bokeh, that fabulous effect where the foreground is sharp and the background blurry that so many bloggers use. It’s fairly complex to understand how it occurs, but usually it is achieved with a shallow depth of field from a high aperture. My camera, with its 16-50mm lens, does a good job of achieving bokeh in macro shots but unfortunately is not what I’m after in my self-portrait shots. I think I need a 16mm or smaller lens for that.

As you can see in the photos above, my whole shot is pretty much in focus, which is not what I want. Because I use a self-timer, I have to set the focus before I’m in the shot and my camera isn’t having a bit of it. I tried focusing on an object that I then hurled out of the way when I arrived, but it didn’t work. The only one that did work was the one below, where the object being hurled was my little brother. Since he’s not around for most of my shoots, it’s back to the drawing board Sad smile

DSC00158

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please be respectful of me and other people commenting, but otherwise go crazy! <3