Sunday, 21 August 2016

Australis Velourlips Mum-bai Review

I haven't been blogging for a year and a half now, but I haven't given up on trying to dress in authentic and (hopefully) interesting ways. I have increased in lipstick-wearing courage since last leaving you all, as you'll know if you follow me on Instagram (which you should!).

The other day I was looking around for interesting makeup available locally in Australia. We get access to drugstore brands such as Maybelline, Revlon and Rimmel in supermarkets and department stores like Big W and Target, but they rarely branch out from your basic nudes, pinks and reds - perhaps an occasional work-appropriate purple. There are also some stores that sell fancy makeup brands, but I balk at spending $30+ for one lipstick. Imagine my delight when I wandered into Priceline and found Australis selling black, blue and green lipstick!

I didn't actually buy any of those colours, haha. Instead I went for a dark purple that I hoped would lean red. I've really been wanting a dark, brownish/purpleish/reddish lipcolour for a while now.

Introducing the Australis Velourlips Matte Lip Cream in Mum-bai.


Only $10.49 - would it live up to my hopes?

In short, no. I found the formula really drying, but that could be forgiven if it weren't so darn patchy. It was impossible to get even on my lips, as you can see from below. It's a matte lipstick so it requires some pretty quick moving to get it in place before it dries, but that's something I'm very familiar with as a matte lipstick lover.

It also never really dried. It didn't transfer a lot like a non-matte lipstick would, but it certainly wasn't kiss-proof. It stayed tacky to the touch and it made me uncomfortably aware of my lips all day.

This is one coat, applied over bare lips with no liner underneath or anything on top.

I tried eating a sandwich. It didn't seem to come off on the sandwich too much, but it definitely left it even patchier.


I do love the colour, but the patchiness really stops it from being wearable. I tried again with a lipliner underneath and that did make it look a bit more even, but at the cost of being easier to rub off on things. I ate a burger and ended up with lipstick on my fingers and chin.

I am going to persevere, in case there is some trick to making it work. It's not going to be something I just slap on before running out the door, however, so I doubt it's ever going to make it into my favourites.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get comments! Please be respectful of me and other people commenting, but otherwise go crazy! <3